- November 2022 – Cowhouse Bank loop
Date: Sunday 27th November 2022
Meet: Cowhouse Bank car park
Length of walk: 5.5 miles
Lunch Venue: The Plough in Wombleton
This is a circular walk of just over 9km [5.5miles], with a total ascent/descent of 215m. We will meet at the carpark at the top of Cowhouse Bank at 1100. Travel up the Bransdale Road [opposite the BATA Garage in Helmsley] to the top of the bank and the carpark is
on the left.
The walk goes around the Loop in an anticlockwise direction [blue path below]. It starts down the Bank on the road, and after the ford [which is dry] follows a good track through woods/felled trees up on to the edge of the Moor. The path then works its way along until it turns south easterly back into the woods and up Helmsley Bank. From the top of the Bank it follows a good, downhill track along the top and back to the car park.
For those wanting a less strenuous option there is a pleasant stroll to the north-west along the top [and back], as far as you wish to go [dotted path below]; there are great views of the moors and Bransdale. This will not be led, but we would suggest starting at 1300 if you would like a stroll before lunch which is at 1430 in the Plough at Wombleton. The main walk comes back along this route.
Lunch at the Plough in Wombleton is booked for 1430. Please get your lunch requests to Rhona [Rhona.email@example.com] by Friday 18th November. Non-walkers are, of course, welcome.
- Soup of the Day – £6.25
- Home potted shrimp – £8.50
- Prawn Cocktail – £7.25
- Smoked Chicken and Avocado – £7.25
- Roast Sirloin of Ryedale Beef and Yorkshire Pud – £16.50
- Roast Loin of Yorkshire Pork and Yorkshire Pud – £15.50
- Pan-fried Seabass, sauté new potatoes, green beans, cherry tomatoes,
- pine nuts – £15.95
- Cashew Nut Curry, rice, poppadom, mango chutney – £12.95 [V]
- A great range of puddings at £6.95, including all the old favourites [order on the day]